In order to be eligible for a fellowship position you will require the following:
- Successful completion of the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination
- Medical school listed in the current World Health Organization Directory
You may be eligible to meet the requirements for exemption from the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination, if you are a practicing medical specialist, and can provide the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario the following documentation.
(a) A legible photocopy of a certificate or letter confirming that you hold specialty certification by an organization outside Canada and the United States of America that certifies medical specialists, and
(b) A legible photocopy of a certificate or letter confirming that you are recognized as a medical specialist by the authority that regulates the practice of medicine in the jurisdiction outside of Canada and the United States where you are now practicing.
Please note that if accepted for a clinical fellowship position, you will be required to complete a pre-entry assessment program put in effect by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. This is a 4 to 12-week evaluation program that assesses your level of training and communication skills.
Also, although there are fellowship positions available at various times throughout the year in all of our postgraduate programs, we cannot guarantee that funding will be available if requested, and therefore, your application may be ineffective.
**IMPORTANT** If you are an international medical school graduate, although you are eligible for Fellowship training, this training does not allow you to practice in Canada. You will NOT sit exams at the end of your training. This is University recognized training ONLY.
For more information and an application, please refer PGME Fellowships.
A complete application package should include the following documents:
- McMaster Postgraduate application form
- CV which includes your date of birth
- Copy of your medical degree
- Copy of your transcripts
- Copy of your Medical Council of Canada Evaluation Exam results OR copy of your certificate of specialty
- Written funding confirmation (fellowship are externally funded – funding must be no less than $50,000 per academic year and cannot come from any personal sources)