Elective requests by Canadian and International medical students must go through the MD Electives Office of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine. Please apply formally through the AFMC portal. Once applications are processed, the request for an elective will be sent to the Electives Coordinator in the department of Obstetrics & Gynecology to check for availability.
Please DO NOT contact the physicians directly.
Experiences in general obstetrics and gynecology are available at SJH and MUMC as well as in communities close to Hamilton, such as Brantford and Burlington. The electives are 2 weeks in length, are subject to certain dates/times of the year. Please see the dates below for specific info.
For those students interested in working with Dr. S. Bates in Brantford, please note the elective has a strong emphasis on minimal access surgery, particularly complex laparoscopic procedures. Students will work in the OR with Gyn residents and fellows. Interested students should contact the Electives Coordinator only.
Electives in our Sub-specialties are available in areas such as: Maternal Fetal Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology, Gyne-Oncology, Urogynecology, MIGS and Sexual Health.
All divisions are available year round, with the exception of the Sexual Health elective.
The Sexual Health elective is available for a max. 2 weeks only and is subject to certain dates attached above. It follows the same schedule as the general electives availability schedule.
The other electives are available year round and for 2-3 weeks in length depending on the specialty. For more info, please see our list of divisions.
- MFM: You will work with a team of 4 physicians in the 4B Clinic at MUMC under the supervision of Dr. M. Morais
- REI: You will work with a team of 4 physicians at the ONE Fertility Clinic in Burlington, ON under the supervision of Dr. M. Karnis or with Dr. R. Cepeda at the Hart Fertility Clinic in Hamilton, ON.
- Gyne Onc: You will work with a team of 4 physicians at the Juravinksi Cancer Centre located at the Henderson Hospital under the supervision of Dr. W. Jimenez
- Sexual Health: This is a community experience in Sexual Medicine, Colposcopy, TA clinic and optional call. You will work with Dr. D. Costescu in Hamilton, ON at both MUMC and the Henderson Hospital
- Urogynecology: You will work under the supervision of Drs. Malabarey and Didomizio at MUMC
- MIGS: You will work under the supervision of Dr. N. Leyland and Dr. S. Scattolon at MUMC in the 2F Clinic
The department of Obstetrics and Gynecology will do their best to meet your requests, however, if we are unable to approve your request, the PG program director, Dr. V. Mueller and our residents would be very happy to meet with you to discuss your career goals. If you are interested in a meeting with our PG director, please contact the Electives Coordinator.