Laurie Elit MD MSc FRCS (C) is a professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at McMaster University and the Division Head for Gynecologic Oncology at Hamilton Health Sciences Centre-Juravinski Cancer Centre. She obtained her medical degree at University of Western Ontario, her fellowship in Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of Western Ontario, and her gynecologic oncology training at Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia and the University of Toronto. She completed a Master’s Degree in Health Research and Methodology at McMaster University. Her research interests involve health services delivery for gynecologic cancer in particular ovarian cancer, treatment decision making with a focus in ovarian cancer, and clinical trials with a focus in preinvasive disease. She is the gynecologic disease site team lead for Cancer Care Ontario’s Program in Evidence Based Care. She has volunteered as both an educator, clinician and administrator in several low and middle income settings (ie., Papua New Guinea, Haiti, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Mongolia, Macedonia). Dr. Elit will be increasing her time commitment to global health endeavors working at Mbingo Baptist Hospital, Cameroon beginning Jan2021.
- 2020 Mohide Lectureship, McMaster University, Hamilton
- 2019 Ontario Society of Obstretrics and Gynecology life time achievement award
- 2019 Hamilton Health Sciences Centre Medical Staff Award for Community or Global Humanitarianism
- 2019 Dr John Mazurka Award for Clinical Surgical Teaching
- 2016 Gynecologic Oncology Canada Presidential Medal
- 2016 Hamilton Health Sciences Centre Medical Staff Association President’s Award for Distinguished Long Service 2016
- 2014 Certificate of Excellence for Sustained and Continuous Pursuit of Excellence in Gynecologic Surgical Training. Dept of Ob Gyn.
- 2011 CREOG National Faculty Award for Excellence in Resident Education
- 2007 MacKenzie Fellowship in Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Canada
- 2006 Clinical Traineeship Grant from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Canada