After completing her BSc in Biochemistry at the University of Toronto, Dr. Jean Chamberlain attended medical school at the University of Toronto, earning her MD in 1991 and completing a Rotating Internship at Toronto East General Hospital in 1992. Upon completion of a Royal College Fellowship in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Western Ontario in 1996, Dr. Chamberlain joined the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at McMaster University. She completed her Master of Education at the University of Toronto (OISE) in 1998.
Dr. Chamberlain is also co-director of the McMaster International Women’s Health Program and founding director of Save the Mothers (STM) International, an organization dedicated to saving some of the 287,000 mothers who die in childbirth every year. Dr. Chamberlain is an internationally recognized expert in women's health and is a member of the Order of Canada. Her work has earned her several awards including the 2006 International Community Service Award from the Federation of International Obstetricians/Gynecologists for her outstanding contribution to the health of mothers around the world.
Dr. Chamberlain also received the Teasdale-Corti Humanitarian Award from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 2009.
She has spent 12 years working in Uganda advocating for safe motherhood with Save the Mothers. Before her tenure in Uganda, she spent 5 years in Yemen as an obstetrician/gynecologist. While abroad, she maintained her academic position in Obstetrics and Gynecology at McMaster University. Currently she is a Professor at McMaster University with her clinical practice based out of St Joseph's Hospital Hamilton.
Honours & Awards
- International Community Service Award, Federation of International Obstetricians/Gynecologists (2006)
- Teasdale-Corti Humanitarian Award for work improving maternal health, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (2009)
- Prix d'Excellence for going beyond the call of duty, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (2012)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medal (2012)
- Iductee, Hamilton Gallery of Distinction (2013)
- Mission Legacy Award, The Sisters of St. Joseph, Hamilton (2013)
- Honorary Doctorate of Laws, University of Waterloo (2013)
- Member, Order of Canada (2014)
To view publications, click here