The Undergraduate Program in Obstetrics and Gynecology offers a chance to profoundly widen knowledge and understanding of women’s health issues through block and horizontal elective opportunities.
Experiences in general obstetrics and gynecology are available at SJH and MUMC as well as in communities close to Hamilton. These include Brantford, Burlington, Ajax/Pickering, Etobicoke, Mississauga, the Niagara and Waterloo regions. The electives are 2 weeks in length, and are subject to certain dates/times of the year. Please see the dates below for specific info.
For those students interested in working with Dr. S. Bates in Brantford, you must meet 3 criteria: 1) you are a CLERK; 2) you are interested in pursuing a career in Obgyn; and 3) you are a Canadian medical student. The elective in Brantford has a strong emphasis on minimal access surgery, particularly complex laparoscopic procedures. Students will work in the OR with Gyn residents and fellows.
Electives in our sub-specialties are available in areas such as: Maternal Fetal Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology, Gyne-Oncology, Urogynecology and Sexual Health.
All divisions are available year round, with the exception of the Sexual Health elective.
The Sexual Health elective is available for a max. 2 weeks only and is subject to certain dates. It follows the same schedule as the general electives availability schedule.
Other electives (Subspecialty) are available year round and for 2-3 weeks in length depending on the specialty. For more info, please see our list of divisions.
- MFM CLERKS ONLY: You will work with a team of 4 high-risk OB physicians under the supervision of Dr. M. Morais in the 4B Clinic at MUMC
- REI: You will work with a team of physicians at the ONE Fertility Clinic in Burlington, ON or with Dr. R. Cepeda at the Hart Fertility Clinic in Hamilton, ON.
- Gyne Onc: You will work with a team of 4 physicians at the Juravinksi Cancer Centre located at the Juravinski Hospital under the supervision of Dr. W. Jimenez
- Sexual Health: This is a community experience in Sexual Medicine, Colposcopy, TA clinic and optional call. You will work under the supervision of Dr. D. Costescu in Hamilton, ON at both MUMC and the Juravinski Hospital
- Urogynecology: You will work under the supervision of Drs. Fedorkow and Best at MUMC or Juravinski Hospital (unavailable until further notice)
Elective requests by McMaster undergraduate students must be made through MedSIS. Please allow approx. 3 months for processing. Post MF4 requests will not be processed until the spring.
As an intro to general ObGyn, we usually offer first-year students the opportunity to experience labour & delivery for a max of 2 night shifts at SJH or MUMC. Shifts on L&D are from 5 pm to midnight on all days except Wednesdays and on weekends. First-year students should sign up for the L&D shifts via the L&D Online Sign up sheet. Please only sign up once you are ready to commit to a date (when you have your MF schedules available). If your name is NOT on the list, then you are not assigned to the shift.
Please call the Electives Coordinator at 905-521-2100 x76244 should you have any questions.
We also offer experience in the TA clinic as well as the Maternity Centre. Please contact the social worker to arrange for your elective at the TA Clinic at Henderson Hospital or please click here to book a horizontal at the Maternity Centre.