Dr. Beth Murray-Davis is a registered midwife who holds a BA in Sociology (University of Guelph, 1999), a BHSc in Midwifery (McMaster University, 2003), a MA in Health Profession Education (University of Toronto, OISE, 2006) and a PhD in Primary Health Care (University of Sheffield, 2010). Her research interests include interprofessional education, collaborative working, midwifery education, patient safety and qualitative methods.
Dr. Murray-Davis has been involved with midwifery teaching at McMaster since 2008. Her teaching focuses on midwifery clinical skills and critical appraisal of research. Prior to working at McMaster she was a Senior Lecturer in Midwifery at Sheffield Hallam University in Sheffield, UK. She continues to maintain her clinical practice as a midwife with the Community Midwives of Hamilton.
She has received academic awards including: the Hamilton Health Sciences New Investigator Fund (2012); the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education Alan Blizzard Award (2012); a Canadian Institutes of Health Research Strategic Training Fellowship (2010); and a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada Doctoral Award (2008).
i) Peer Reviewed Journals
- Murray-Davis B, McDonald H, Cross-Sudworth F, Ahmed R, Simioni J, Dore S, Marrin M, DeSantis J, Leyland N, Gardosi J, Hutton E, McDonald S. Learning from Adverse Events in Obstetrics: Is a Standardized Computer Tool an Effective Strategy for Root Cause Analysis? J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2015 Aug;37(8):728-35.
- Murray-Davis B, McDonald H, Reitsma A, Coubrough M, Hutton E. Deciding on home or hospital birth: results of the Ontario Choice of Birthplace Survey. Midwifery. 2014 Jul;30(7):869-76. doi: 10.1016/j.midw.2014.01.008. Epub 2014 Feb 7.
- Murray-Davis B, Marshall M, Gordon F. Becoming an interprofessional practitioner: factors promoting the application of pre-qualification learning to professional practice in maternity care. J Interprof Care. 2014 Jan;28(1):8-14. doi: 10.3109/13561820.2013.820690. Epub 2013 Aug 5.
- Murray-Davis B, McNiven P, McDonald H, Malott A, Elarar L, Hutton EK. Why home birth? A qualitative study exploring women’s decision making about place of birth in two Canadian Provinces. Midwifery. In Press. 2012 Oct;28(5):576-81.
- Murray-Davis B., Solomon P, Marshall D, Malott A, Mueller V, Shaw E, Dore K, Burns S. A Team Observed Structured Clinical Encounter (TOSCE) for pre-licensure learners in maternity care: A short report of the development of an assessment tool. Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education. In Press.
- Murray-Davis B, Marion A, Malott A, Reitsma A, Hutton EK.Women’s experiences of participating in the Early External Cephalic Version 2 (EECV2) Trial. Birth. (2012), 39(1), 1-9. Early online.
- Murray-Davis B, Marshall M, Gordon F. From school to work: promoting the application of pre-qualification interprofessional education in the clinical workplace. Nurse Education in Practice. (2011) Nov 14 epub.
- Murray-Davis B, Marshall M, Gordon F. What do midwives think about interprofessional working and learning?Midwifery. (2011), 27(3), 376-381.
- Malott AM, Murray-Davis B, McDonald H, Hutton E. Midwifery Care in Eight Industrialized Countries: How Does Canadian Midwifery Compare? Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Canada. (2009) 31 (10): 974-980.
- Murray-Davis B, Soltani H, Wilkins H. Using a Childbirth Simulator in Midwifery Education. British Journal of Midwifery.(2009) 17(4): 234-238.
- Murray-Davis B. How authoritative texts reinforce the medical model of birth. British Journal of Midwifery. (2008) 16(4): 212-217.
- Murray-Davis B. Women’s experiences of consultation: negotiating conflicting models of birth. Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice. (2008) 7(2): 22-30.
- Murray-Davis B. Optimal timing of cord clamping: a commentary on recent evidence. Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice. (2007) 6(3): 42-43.
ii) Published abstracts
Murray-Davis, B. Exploring How IPE Training Influences Future Professional Practice. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Canada. (2010) 32(1): 78.
Murray-Davis B, Wainman B. Pharmacology Revealed. Interactive clinical e-book. 2014. Available athttps://gumroad.com/bcw.
Murray-Davis B, Wainman B. Physical Assessment of the Well Woman and Newborn. Interactive clinical e-book. 2014. Available at https://gumroad.com/bcw.
Murray-Davis, B. Interprofessional working in maternity care: how professional relationships influence the experiences of women. (2008) VDM Verlag: Germany.